Whether you have overcrowded, misaligned or unevenly spaced teeth, correcting these orthodontic issues can boost your confidence and self-esteem. If you’re ready to transform your smile and finally show off your pearly whites, let’s unpack the benefits and limitations of braces vs. Invisalign — two popular treatment options that will correct your crooked smile once and for all.
Braces vs. Invisalign — the pros and cons of each treatment
- Appearance — When it comes to braces vs. Invisalign, most opt for the latter as aligner trays are made of clear plastic — so they’re discrete and virtually invisible. Ideal for professionals, adult patients and self-conscious teens who don’t want to deal with the visual impact of braces, Invisalign allows you to smile in photos confidently.
- Comfortable to wear — While braces can pinch and push against your lips and gums at the start of treatment, Invisalign aligners fit seamlessly against your teeth. Therefore, they are less likely to irritate soft tissues (Gums and lips). Most patients love the comfort factor when it comes to Invisalign vs. braces.
- Fewer visits to the Orthodontist — Invisalign treatments include a series of custom-made aligners, each set is worn for two weeks and exchanged for the next set in your treatment plan. Usually, your orthodontist will provide several sets in advance so that you can maintain your treatment progression at home. Braces, on the other hand, require patients to visit the office every one to two months for regular adjustments and wire tightening.
- The temptation to remove the aligner — While the removable tray design is a great feature, removing the aligners too often can be tempting. Pulling them out regularly or for extended periods can hinder results — and even prolong your treatment plan.
- Difficult to treat severe misalignment — Particular types of tooth movements and short or small teeth are more challenging to treat with Invisalign. Depending on the severity of your dental issues, aligner trays may not provide optimal results.
Advantages of braces
- Versatile — Braces can treat from the simplest to very complex cases. The orthodontist can intervene to correct or improve performance if necessary.
- It’s possible to achieve better results — Braces are fixed appliances which means the compliance factor is removed from the patient; this makes treatment more predictable in many cases where aligners are not worn as instructed.
Disadvantages of braces
- Aesthetics — You can’t escape the fact that braces and wires are visible. For adults and those who work in a professional setting, the appearance of braces may impact their confidence or be undesirable.
- Dietary restrictions — Care must be taken when you consume food and drinks. You’ll need to avoid consuming hard, sticky foods as they can break or dislodge the bracket and wire from the tooth.
The final consideration — Braces vs. Invisalign cost
Regarding braces vs. Invisalign, the cost of each treatment might play a role in your final decision. While your overall treatment price is determined by the orthodontist at your initial consultation, at Earlwood Orthodontics, metal braces are one of our most affordable treatment options. Still, the cost difference might not be significant compared to ceramic braces.
Book your appointment at Earlwood Orthodontics today
Now that you’ve weighed the pros and cons of braces vs. Invisalign, why not book your consultation at Earlwood Orthodontics? Whether you have a crossbite, overbite, widely spaced or overcrowded teeth, our specialist orthodontists will provide you with a suitable treatment plan that promises a confident smile and increased self-esteem. Contact us today to find out what orthodontic treatment may benefit you and your smile.